Thursday, August 6, 2009

Homesick

So, TL is in Iowa this week and has been away several times this summer. I've posted several times just how much I miss her and how empty my house seems when she's gone. I routinely get a "mom I miss you" call, especially at night which has always been our special time. Tonight I got the dreaded "mom, I want to come home" call. I don't think there is a parent out there that hasn't gotten one and there is a really helpless feeling that comes with that phone call. We want to immediately fix it by going and getting them but have to hold ourselves back which is never easy. Luckily, she is with someone who not only understands homesick kids, she's with someone that once TL realized that she wouldn't hurt grandma's feeling by saying she was homesick she got the best cure for homesickness there is--hugs. It also didn't hurt that her brother's father-in-law just happened to come over soon after with a whole bunch of clothes from her brother and sister-in-law. We all know that TL likes clothes! I just got off the phone with her and she is much better. She and grandma are working on a quilt (and from the hum of the sewing machine she's already way ahead of me and my sewing ability). She was back to her usual laughing self and having a great time with grandma (I wish I could be there to see it).

I think all of us hate it when our loved ones are away from us but as TL grows up I'll see less and less of her (not that I'm happy about that one bit!) and I'm glad to see that she is learning ways to handle and defeat being homesick! Of course, I'm counting the days til she gets home, she's already trying to figure out when she can go away again...I think she's cured.

No comments:

Post a Comment